When attempting to install SocketTools, a message box is displayed with the error number 0x80040707 and the setup immediately terminates. Typically there is no description for the error code.
This is an error returned by the InstallShield setup engine, and can occur under a number of different conditions. In some cases it may be necessary to view and/or modify the system registry using the regedit.exe utility. It is recommended that you make a backup of the registry before continuing. The following is a list of steps that can be taken to attempt to resolve this error:
1. Make sure that you have the appropriate permissions to install the software on the system. Your user account must have administrative privileges to install the software. On the current versions of Windows, the installation must be performed with elevated privileges. If UAC is enabled, a prompt will be displayed at the beginning of the installation process.
2. Make sure that there is only one installation being performed at the time. The InstallShield setup engine requires several seconds to remove temporary files at the end of the installation. If you immediately run one setup after another, it may conflict with the previous process. Check to make sure that there are no instances of the Ikernel.exe process running on the system. If there is, reboot the system and attempt the installation again.
3. Remove all files from your temporary files folder, as defined by the TEMP environment variable. Also remove any files in these folders:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Engine
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\Engine
4. Use the regedit.exe utility to verify that the following registry keys can be accessed, and permissions are set to Full Control for the Administrator, System and Created Owner users:
5. Use the regedit.exe utility to check the following key:
Make sure that the CommonFilesDir value exists, the directory is valid and that there are no trailing spaces or tab characters in the text of that value.
6. Use the regedit.exe utility to check the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders
Make sure that the following keys are defined and have valid values: Common Start Menu, Common Startup, Common Desktop, and Common Programs. If one or more of these values are missing, then they should be added as REGSZ_EXPAND (expandable string) values. Make sure that there are no trailing spaces in the values.